Frequently Asked Questions
When did IBCT get founded and where?
IBCT started as a professional association in the United States in1988. In 2003, the governance came into the Dutch hands. In 2008, IBCT was re-established by a Dutch notarial act and became the Stichting (the Dutch word for not-for-profit foundation) International Board of Certified Trainers (IBCT) in the Netherlands. Visit About Us page for more.
In which Chamber of Commerce IBCT is registered?
In the Netherlands, Europe. IBCT is registered as a foundation at the Chamber of Commerce of Netherlands and has its official statutes with the foundation profile under the number of KVK30248256. Part of the Chamber of Commerce rules in Netherlands is making all essential information of registered bodies, such as the office address, a copy of the rental contract, PO box, contact details, the Board, the persons who can legally act on behalf of the organization and notarial act available to the public via their website.
What about international memberships in the higher education accreditation field?
Are the members of the Board, consultants or trainers being paid?
No, Board members, trainers, consultants, and advisors are volunteers since IBCT is a not-for-profit organization. They are only entitled to receive limited compensation for their expenses from IBCT. However, the office staff is fully paid.
According to the bylaws of the foundation, volunteers and master trainers can receive a maximum exemption of 25-75% (depending on the efforts exerted) of their gross membership costs and/or (re)certification costs.
What are the professional services that IBCT provide?
IBCT is the world’s leading professional certification body for HRD practices. We provide the following HRD-related certification services:
- Qualifying and Certifying Trainers, based on our international and state-of-the-industry standards (this is our main bag! Please visit our page of trainer certification to know more)
- Certifying training facilities, centers, and companies.
- Certifying training materials, packages, and programs.
- Conducting specially tailored train-the-trainer programs according to the client needs
- Providing professional HRD consultations such as training needs analysis, program design & development, leadership development, organizational development, and many other HR-related domains.
- Conducting HR conferences and seminars
- Carrying out HR Research
- Developing and producing educational training materials, movies, and manuals.
What is IBCT’s position on privacy and copyrights regarding training?
IBCT strictly keeps the privacy of its trainers and clients. We highly respect the intellectual rights (of training) materials.
For starters, we follow the strict Dutch laws in this regard. IBCT and its members comply with these laws even in countries where there are non-or less strict laws. IBCT members violating copyrights legalization lose their certification status. Meanwhile, IBCT follows the GDPR of the EU. In July 2017, IBCT adjusted its privacy policies to comply with the new European laws. Our training partners outside the European Union are requested to follow the GDPR if possible.
What are the main professional organizations that the IBCT targets?
Our services are available to all kinds of organizations (governmental agencies, business organizations, and NGOs, others). We have great experience in serving the higher educational institutions.
What are the terms of service of IBCT train-the-trainer programs?
The IBCT applies the following Admission requirements, Conduction Rules & Achievement Policy for IBCT train-the-trainer programs:
Participantshould pass the admission Interview to Join the Program.
- A minimum of 100% full attendance of all the training sessions
arerequired to receive the IBCT certificate.
- Participant must achieve, at least, 50% of each examination section to pass the program and get licensed by IBCT.
- For participants who could not achieve one section of the examination, they will be granted two chances to re-do the same examination section within
following6 months. If they fail after the second chance, they must attend the entire program again.
- For participants who could not achieve two sections of the examination, they will be granted only two chances to re-attend the program.
- For participants who achieve the program with the minimal passing rate, they will be on probation for 6 months. In the meantime, they will receive their certificates and licenses normally. For more details about the probation status, please consult your senior trainer.
What are the IBCT capabilities in the field of HRD?
The real capability of IBCT is demonstrated by its international intellectual capital. IBCT has a pool of Certified Trainers and HRD consultants who got state of the art train-the-trainer training in addition to a large pool of university professors and experts in the field of HRM, quality assurance, leadership and change management and many other fields.
Becoming an IBCT Train-The-Trainer partner, what is in it for us?
Since training-of-trainers is a very intensive and demanding specialism with relatively low demand in the market, the return on investment is usually uncertain. Therefore, going on a partnership with IBCT in this regard is highly appreciated by our train-the-trainer partners. We provide our partners with our world-class TTT training packages, certification exams and/or master train-the-trainers to qualify and certify their trainers. Hens, you as a partner, will have no more wasted time and money-consuming activities in developing performance standards, training materials, examinations or finding qualified master-trainers. At the same time, through such partnerships, IBCT achieves its goals as a not-for-profit organization seeking the noble aim of standardizing more trainers on the international standards across the globe.
What are train-the-trainer programs IBCT provide?
IBCT provides a multi-level world-class international TTT Program. These levels as follows:
- Certified Associate Trainer (AT)
- Certified Professional Trainer (CPT)
- Internationally Certified Trainer & HRD Consultant (CT/HRDC)
- Tailor-made educational role/competence programs for training and talent development professionals.
Where can I attend the IBCT Train-The-Trainer programs?
Our train-the-trainer programs mainly are held in IBCT Certified Training Centers, IBCT Certified train-the-trainer partners and could be also held on the customer site after the approval of the clients’ training facilities. IBCT train-the-trainer partners and
What are the requirements as a TTT trainer to conduct TOT/TTT programs with IBCT?
IBCT welcomes applications from training professionals who are:
- Qualified and certified by IBCT.
- Conducting skills training on different subjects on a regular basis and sharing on a voluntary basis the results with the IBCT via the
- Signed the volunteer train-the-trainer agreement with IBCT.
- Committed to conduct TOT programs exclusively with IBCT and form no competition to the participants, focal points in the region or to the IBCT. This to guarantee a safe and trusted learning environment and to comply with our Code of Conduct.
What kind of questions would I expect during the admission interview?
IBCT experts follow our selection criteria while interviewing candidates who want to join our train-the-trainer programs. IBCT interviewers usually ask various questions to assess the candidates’ readiness to join the TOT training under the following sections:
- Teamwork Skills
- Coping Abilities
- Positive Attitudes
- Personal Traits
Can I qualify myself online for a certification as a trainer?
No. IBCT is acknowledging all kind of online educational activities for continuing education and to maintain your certification. However, to qualify for certification the Board is sure that professionals need to attend face-to-face training programs, via our focal points and certified train-the-trainer partners, to acquire the appropriate skills and become certified as training and talent development professionals.
My certification has expired. Can I apply for certification again? What are the criteria? How should I apply?
Basically, there are 5 main requirements to complete your recertification process:
- Completing your three-year professional development plan through our e-Planner tool.
- Submitting of a reflection report depicting a complete training experience you went through the last three years; a full explanation of the components of this report, including the submission procedure, is available in our online system.
- Pass the written examination. This will be emailed to you after step 2.
- Demonstrate recent customer satisfaction in your role as training professional and provide a letter of recommendation from a local director.
- An interview with one of the appointed Board member of your region.
Click here to have your access to our Online Recertification System to know more.
How can I certify my training center?
A Training Center can be certified through the following steps:
- The Requesting Institution (RI) applies showing its interest in certifying its Training Centers.
- IBCT provides the RI with a checklist showing the certification standards and requirements.
- The Training Center of the RI starts working on the checklist.
- After getting the certification requirements ready by the training center, the RI informs IBCT that the Center is ready for certification audit visit.
- IBCT experts pay an international audit visit for the training center to check and write a report about the extent of the availability of the certification requirements.
Having completed the comments of IBCT experts and reviewers become satisfied, IBCT will issue an accreditation certificate after paying the certification fees.
Visit our center certification page to know more.
How much is the fee to certify my training center?
The Center Certification fee varies according to several factors. Please note that IBCT in a not-for-profit foundation and requires the running costs only for its certification services. please contact us to get more details.
What are the levels of training materials certification?
There are three levels: 1. Certified Materials (basic), 2. Certified Training Package (advanced) and 3. Certified Training Program (full).
What are the differences among the three levels of training materials certification?
For the full differences, we refer to the standards, please visit the materials certification page. However, the main differences can be outlined as follows. The first level, training materials certification, focuses mainly on standardizing and certifying 2 components of a training package, the trainee’s and trainer’s guides only. But the second level, certifying training packages, focuses on standardizing the full training package, which means supportive media, examination method and tools are included in addition to the above-mentioned training guides. With the certification of a training program, the highest level of certification, IBCT checks
How much are the fees to get my training materials certified?
The fee of training materials certification varies according to several factors, such as duration, complexity of the subject matter, language, etc. Please contact us to get more details. However, IBCT always requires the basic running costs of all certification types because of its not-for-profit nature.
How do I apply for training materials certification?
Please visit our training materials certification page and fill in the online form and specify the form/level of materials certification you want to inquire about. We will reply you with all the required details within two working days.